Friday, June 13, 2008

Work hard play hard

I've been mugging for the past week but still, I would never deprive myself of some little enjoyment in between all that hard work. Just last Sunday, after a day of hard work in the National Library, I met up with Mum and sis for dinner. I had been craving for some sashimi all week and so I made it known to sis. She recommended this new japanese restaurant at Upper Thomson call Takayu. When we got there, there weren't many people there unlike most japanese buffet restaurants, so I wasn't expecting the best. But after tasting only a few dishes, I was won over! Most of them tasted good and there's a nice variety of food for the relatively modest price of $23++.

Photobucket
Most importantly, the place satisfied my craving for sashimi!

Photobucket
The tempuras were good, especially the scallop ones

Photobucket
The mackeral fish

Photobucket
Ooh the codfish was delicious

Photobucket
Some yakitori

Photobucket
Agedashi toufu

Photobucket
And a plate of watermelon at the end of it all

I also managed to make time in the evening after a whole day of studying in school yesterday to meet up with Jackie, Joshua and Dave. Joshua recommended Wine Company down at Evans Road. Its just opposite the old SMU campus, further down from The Botanical Gardens. The name of the restaurant speaks for itself, people mainly goes there for the wine. I didn't even know they serve main courses there! Apparently, this is the only Wine Company that serves main courses, the one down at Dempsey don't. This place being the recommendation of my richest friend, I wasn't expecting dinner to be cheap. But I was taken aback when I got hold of the menu. Their most expensive dish there is the Tenderloin steak at $32! But I chose not to have this time. Instead, I chose the Tandoori Chicken Speghetti at a mere $10! And the best thing about it all is that all the price listing on the menu is inclusive of GST and service charge! The place to go for a very affordable yet very atas experience! Definitely a place to check out, have a glass of wine or 2 as well, because that's surely where the bulk of their income come from. Give them some business, keep them going!

Anyway, we had a ball of a time chatting and reminiscing secondary school days there all the way from 8pm till 11.30pm. Josh's fiancee Grace joined us much later in the night and something she mentioned made me realised something. She pointed out that whenever friends get together so occasionally, we tend to recycle our jokes all the time. Its turned out to be true alright, we do seem to repeat our jokes everytime we get together, but yet we will still laugh heartily even though its not the first time we're cracking or hearing that joke. Well, its also because of the fact that we meet up so rarely, we have nothing new to speak of except those old happy days. Now so thats what the word reminiscing actually mean, having a good time laughing at repeated jokes! And when that happens to you, its a sign that you're getting on in years like me too! Beware!

Oh I'm sure many of you didn't noticed, but its Friday the 13th today. I was brought up believing that this day is unlucky, like many of you I'm sure. But hell, nothing happened for the past 25 years didn't it? Of course I don't want anything to happen in the future, I better stop commenting. Lol.

No comments: