Monday, February 04, 2008

NE Tour

The last movie i caught happened to be the very lousy Cloverfield. And that was like 2 weeks ago. Considered quite long ago already for me. I was longing to watch a movie and i managed to catch one last friday. Met up with Puss and we went to watch Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber From Fleet Street at Vivo City. What a mistake it turned out to be because i uncontrollably slept for almost half the movie. I was so damn tired i couldn't help but fall asleep on the comfortable chair of Vivo Max Theater. But i did manage to catch the gruesome throat slitting scenes and wonderful singing of Johnny Depp. You really can't help but admire what a talent he is. Not only is he able to take up and excel in every role that he acts in, he amazed everyone by showing us how well he sings too. My favourite Hollywood actor to date..bravo!

Photobucket

Before the movie, we had a late dinner at Shin Kushinya before we some ice cream at Haagen Daz. And guess what..both the bill came up to almost the same amount. Yes thats what exorbidant prices Haagen Daz charges for their ice cream. We could very well have settled for Bens & Jerrys and feel much happier...just that they were already closed by the time we were done with dinner. Oh and don't expect to have something to do at Vivo City before a midnight show there. There were practically nothing to do with most of the shops closed. We only managed to kill some time by hanging around in their lousy arcade.

Photobucket
My cookie crunch

It was Benny's birthday on Saturday and we went to MOS for a small party. Somehow i just didn't learn from past bad experiences...yes MOS is still bad...super boring. I was at Smoove's crowded dance floor and i had this fat woman behind me grinding me. There was also a guy that came so close i could feel his heavy breathing down my neck. Not only that..there were many other crazy insane high guys surrounding me...i felt super disgusted and i walked out soon after lol. I doubt i would ever step into MOS again for a party!

Arranged for mahjong with Freddy and Jackie last night but was unable to find a 4th leg. In the end, Freddy's gf Sara decided that she will be the 4th player although it would be her first time playing. We spent half the time teaching her how to play and ended up playing only half a round because i would have to wake up early the next morning. Before mahjong, i settled dinner via AMK's Macs' drive-thru. I ordered their prosperity burger but it didn't help me in the end coz i lost money in mahjong..yeah right prosperity burger lol. Oh and i changed my green tea in the meal to a limeade and they charged me an extra $2.55 for that! How ridiculous does that sound? I didn't make a fuss though because i was already rushing for the mahjong session. Damn you MacDonalds! No wonder they say the rich are getting richer and the poor like me are getting poorer!

On the drive to Jackie's house, i decided that i was too hungry to wait. So i took out the packet of fries and started eating. Then a sudden crazy thought came to my mind. I was wondering what would have happened if the police had caught me eating my fries while driving..would they have stopped me and fined me for dangerous driving? I can't imagine what a funny incident that will turn out to be. What if it was a camera that caught me in the act? That would have been way funnier. I must have been insane or something because i was laughing to myself in the car while thinking of that lol. I won't want that to happen though of course...the joke would have been on me having to pay a hefty fine and probably have some points deducted too.

My battalion had a National Education tour today. It was a no work day for all of us. We met up at East Coast Park early in the morning and had a short run before we proceeded for our tour. The first place they brought us to was the Singapore Crocodile Farm just off Serangoon Road. Although i do know of the place's existence having past by it many times, i've never been inside. And what an interesting place it turned out to be. There were really crocodiles, canines and alligators inside. And they fed them in front of us too! They then proceeded to describe to us how they were killed, skinned and processed for their leather products and also crocodile meat. I do however have doubts as to who at our age will still fancy crocodile leather products?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Crocodile feeding

Photobucket
They were pretty huge

They then brought us to the temple just opposite the crocodile farm. The temple is apparently more than 80 years old already with a little bit of history behind it.

Photobucket
The temple whose name i don't exactly know

Photobucket
The burner?

After the temple, we were brought to the Japanese cemetery located within those private housings inside Kovan. I never knew such a place existed but what a nice place it turned out to be. It was neither eerie nor spooky like what most cemeteries are. It was clean and green..just like a nice park. The guide then proceeded and told us many stories..most of them WW2 stories.

Photobucket
The shrine in the middle of the cemetery

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
It don't look like a cemetery doesn't it? Looks pretty much like the enchanted garden

The last stop of the tour was a sand farm. Yes you didn't read wrongly...its a sand farm just off Lor Halus. I've never known how precious sand is to Singapore till this very day. What an enriching tour it turned out to be. And you guys thought Singapore is small..there's so many places that you haven been to!

Photobucket
Hell lot of sand

Photobucket
Sand farm offices

Photobucket
Trucks used for sand transportation

Photobucket

The day didn't end there of course. How can i resist when i have colleagues jioing me for mahjong? Ended up playing mahjong at Nelson's place till around 8.30pm before i met up with my family for some groceries shopping at AMK Hub NTUC Xtra. And hella we spent $245 there. Yes...$245...my mum told me we broke the record...you can imagine how much groceries we bought...thats way a lot for a small family of 4 like mine. Haha and i felt guilty seeing the amount of plastic bags we're using. Yes the save the environment campaign did have an impact on me.

No comments: