Thursday, February 21, 2008

The decision to sign on

To heyhey's request for some advice from me, i don't think i can put it all down on the chatbox, which is why i've decided to come out with this post.

Ironically, i've always shudder at the thought of having to serve in the army when i was a kid. I was a tv fanatic and there were war and army training shows every now and then. I never thought i could survive in the army and i never wanted to grow up then and be old enough for army. Look how fast time flew by. Well..to be honest, I've had any regrets signing on. And I don't think i'm lagging behind my peers too either. On the contrary, i think i actually had a better head start and get to live life comfortably at a much younger age. I dare say not many 22 years olds can afford a car of their own and still have enough to go around enjoying other kinds of entertainments and luxuries in life. Moreover, i'm also pursuing my bachelors part time and in 1 year time i'll graduate..putting me almost on par with most of my peers! Of course, all this wouldn't be possible if not for some financial support from Mum and i would like to thank her a lot for it!

I've been part timing in various parts of my life working in factories, offices, lounges and service lines and i didn't like any of them. And that contributed to part of my decision to sign on. I wanted an outdoor job..something that is not monotonous..something that will pay me to keep fit! And that was exactly what the army offered! Its true your experience in the army don't count for anything when you apply for a second job in the future, and you might also add on that you don't learn anything in life there in the army. But i beg to differ especially since i'm in Signals. I have learnt enough networking to probably even set up my own LAN cafe...and that was something i didn't learn in school. Think of signing on as serving an additional 4 years more than the average man. And when you do that..you get to enjoy the privileges that regulars enjoy and of course there's the money. Given the chance to choose again..i will still sign on. I don't see myself doing any better working in the outside world. I just want to save enough and be my very own boss one day. Dare to dream and you'll succeed!

The single decision i regret making in life is to give up studying in JC. I believe my whole life would have been a whole lot more different if i had stayed on. Everything will be different! I wouldn't have signed on if i only held an A-level cert, my group of friends would have been different. I most probably would be studying in NUS, SMU or NTU now! I regret not persevering. But life is not about regrets and we should always look ahead! I found very good friends in poly and i did learn a lot of things from there! Now i shall continue studying hard for my bachelors in management and get at least achieve a 2nd upper honours. Then i can proudly walk out of the army and tell them that i did my part. Its time for me to go and strike in out in the outside world!

Off topic a bit, Singapore won the right to host the first ever 2010 Youth Olympic Games! I don't understand the big hoohah but i can sense a lot of money coming in. There'll probably be more bonuses for civil servants and pocket money from the government for each and everyone of you! So people let's all cheer and be happy together to celebrate this good news!

No comments: