Sunday, July 06, 2008

My buddy

I'm in utter shock. I was just flipping through yesterday's newspaper when I saw a familiar face. I saw my sispec buddy's picture. According to the news, he was run over by a lorry on the PIE after falling off his scooter last Oct, the same month I was suffering in Wallaby.

It has since been 9 months and I found out only now. Nobody told me about this bad news, they probably did but I didn't carry my handphone with me to Australia. I was close to this man I affectionately call "buddy" during my 3 months in Sispec. My buddy Mr Lim Chee Wee was one of the fittest in the platoon during those days and could easily achieve a timing of 8+ mins for a 2.4km run and SOC. He was a great buddy too, always waiting for me before falling in and always looking out for me. He was a popular guy in the platoon and I was fortunate to have him as my buddy to pass by my sispec days. It then came as no surprise when he managed to get into the coveted Physical Training Instructor (PTI) course, the only one from our platoon.

Photobucket

The last time I saw him was during the Standard Chartered marathon 2006. A pity I did not keep in contact with him after passing out except having him on my MSN, facebook and friendster.

Life can be so unpredictable, I'm not the best person to discourage you guys from riding a bike because I was once a biker myself and am still looking forward to owning my next bike. I'm feeling a little bit of guilt because my buddy showed interest in riding during our sispec days and I did encouraged him by preaching on how much I enjoy the convenience and joy of riding myself, insisting that a scooter is in everyway pretty much like a car, both convenient and safe. Nothing I say would help now. Its all too late now. Just be extra careful Dave, Teri, Sagah, Toh Jin and the rest of you who rides. I'm still mulling over the fact that Chee Wee has since passed away. He'll always be remembered by me. Rest in peace buddy.

A bone tinkling reminder of how unpredictable and fragile life is. Time to stop idling and do something useful in life.

No comments: