Monday, January 05, 2004

Why the prejudice against motorbikes?

Whenever people take my bike, they will ask: “Why don’t you get a car?” And the straight forward answer from me will always be: “I can’t afford one.” People tend to think since I can afford a bike then I can afford a car. That is so not true. The cost and maintenance of a car can be almost 10 times more than a motorbike. The COE alone is already literally 100 times more.

It’s more affordable to maintain a 1000cc bike than a 660cc car. I cannot disagree that a car does provide more security and comfort, but one has to think about the parking, the petrol etc. Parking for a motorbike is usually free, if not it will not amount to more than $1 per entry.

It’s true that riding can be dangerous, but driving can be dangerous too. Why do people always make a big fuss whenever someone dies from a motorbike accident but takes it as a norm whenever someone dies from a car accident? You don’t see mummy preventing you from jaywalking or taking a plane whenever there is an accident as a result of the two.

And this afternoon when I told Sam that I will upgrade my bike next time when I acquired my higher class license, she made a big fuss. It’s just in everybody that urges to upgrade right? Don’t you ever think of owning a BMW/Mercedes you already have a nice Starlet you can drive? The same goes for me…my dream bike will be something 1000cc and above…something that can make me lift my head high on the roads and cruise past cars at ease hehe. I’ll definitely want to own a car in the future but now’s not the time.

I’m happy that currently I have a nice bike I can call my own and I can forget the hassle of waiting or running for a bus, squeezing with the crowd etc. This bike is just my own personal transport…my way of commuting…I also want to own a car but I can’t afford it now. So people please don’t ask me “Why don’t you get a car” next time k?

No comments: